Thursday, April 28, 2011

She's Baaaack

Sally Kern, the notoriously homophobic state legislator from Oklahoma, yesterday proved she's a "big-tent" Republican, which in her case means she's willing to hate everyone.

During a debate on Affirmative Action, the Tulsa World reported, Kern said minorities make less money than whites because they're short on initiative and decline to work as hard.

She said, “We have a high percentage of blacks in prison, and that’s tragic, but are they in prison just because they are black or because they don’t want to study as hard in school? I’ve taught school, and I saw a lot of people of color who didn’t study hard because they said the government would take care of them.”

African-Americans, gays, Muslims—this tent is getting crowded.

Kern also turned on her own, saying women earn less than men because “they tend to spend more time at home with their families.”

Discrimination has nothing to do with income disparity, and into the tent with you.

"I want to humbly apologize for my statements last night about African Americans and women," Kern said today in a written statement. "I believe that our government should not provide preferences based on race or gender. I misspoke while trying to convey that point last night during debate.

"Women are some of the hardest workers in the world. My husband is a pastor of a diverse inner-city church, and the way my words came out last night is certainly not my true spirit."

Sure, I believe that. Like I believe Oklahoma abuts the Pacific Ocean.

The Oklahoma House, by the way, signed off on eliminating Affirmative Action in state government. At the same time that Sally Kern was so ably proving that discrimination is alive and well and downright frisky in the Sooner State.