Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Keeping It Unnatural With Pat


Pat Buchanan, currently flogging his new book, guested on NPR's "The Diane Rehm Show" yesterday.  Go ahead and put yourself in a testy mood by reading part of the show's transcript:


REHM: And another question. You've written in your columns of homosexuality, that in a healthy society, it will be contained, segregated, controlled, and stigmatized. You've also called homosexuality a disorder that can be handled with therapy. Do you still stand by those statements?

BUCHANAN: Well, the statement that homosexuality is disordered is a statement from Pope Benedict in Rome, as well. It's the view of the Catholic Church.

REHM: And you accept that?

BUCHANAN: Well, I believe that homosexuality is -- that it is unnatural activity. Unnatural and immoral. I realize individuals are maybe born -- nature or nurture, I don't know what it is -- I assume nobody actually gets to be 13 or 14 and suddenly chooses this. But I do think -- and people may not be able to control their orientation -- but I do believe as a Catholic that people can control their conduct. And that is where I think, I would say, that kind of conduct should be discouraged in a good society, in a healthy society. And it used to be discouraged. And I do think that the idea that men can marry men and women marry women in the USA is a sign of a civilization in its final throes. I mean, we saw things like this at the end of the Weimar Republic. Things like this at the end of the Roman Empire. And they are attendant to a declining nation and a declining civilization.


Well, Pat, in the first breath you say homosexuality is unnatural, but in the second you say people are born gay.  I'm confused.  But so are you.

By the by, Pat, you benefitted directly from America becoming more tolerant.  You ran for president as a devout Catholic.  For much of this country's history, such a thing was impossible.  Maybe the ghost of Al Smith will pay you a Halloween visit to remind you.  Hang on to your candy corn.

I gather your book, "Suicide of a Superpower," maintains that America will be in deep trouble when whites lose their majority status.  You even appeared on a "pro-White" radio show the other night.  Spending Saturday night with a white supremacist—Pat, you know how to have a good time.

A changing racial makeup and gay rights spell the end of our civilization, huh?  Well, there's always the Nazi approach to both—but I'm sure you're not advocating that . . .  Are you, Pat?