Monday, November 28, 2011

Bye Bye Barney


Rep. Barney Frank is calling it quits.  After 16 terms in office, the openly gay Massachusetts Democrat announced today that he's retiring in 2012.

"I was planning to run again and then the congressional redistricting came,” Frank, 71, said.  “I know my own capacity and energy levels and it would have been a mistake . . . I could not have put the requisite effort in.”

Crap.

Congress loses a thinker and a wit.  We lose our fiercest representative.

The Washington Post reported Frank got in a barb at ex-House speaker Newt Gingrich, currently thriving in the GOP presidential race.

"I did not think I lived a good enough life to see Newt Gingrich as the Republican nominee," Frank said. "He would be the best thing to happen to Democrats since Barry Goldwater."