Friday, August 10, 2012

When a Child Takes You By Surprise


Anne’s six-year-old-niece just stayed with us for a week so she could attend a summer day camp at the Seattle Aquarium.  Emma had never spent more than one night in our house before, so this was new and different.

Little did we know how new and different.  On the first day, from my office, I heard Anne tell Emma of our intention to marry.  My stomach tightened as Emma said she didn’t know why “two girls” would get married.

The fire alarm might as well have gone off, because in our heads Anne and I heard, “Emergency!  Emergency!”

Anne did what any sane and reasonable lesbian would in the situation—she went to the library.  From our local branch she plucked three picture books about the variety of families in the world.

I don’t know whether she actually read them to Emma, but at least having them around made us feel better.

You better believe that earlier this week when we voted on whether to raise our property tax in order to better fund city libraries, both Anne and I voted yes.  Now that I think about it, a thank-you card and a box of chocolate for the local children’s librarian might be in order as well.