Wednesday, October 3, 2012

It's Still Raining Men

The gay anthem "It's Raining Men" burst on the scene 30 years ago.  The song always makes me think of a guy I knew in the mid-1990s.  Lenny was young, rotund and as gay as the day is long, and  growing up in a depressed New Hampshire mill town had presented him with predictable challenges.  But some weekends he drove to a gay club in Massachusetts, donned a dress, heels and makeup, and transformed himself into a white Weather Girl.  I can't remember Lenny's drag name, but I do remember his moves while performing "It's Raining Men," and what a kick he got out of performing it.

Last I heard, Lenny had moved to Hawaii.  Perhaps for the song's anniversary he's taken that dress out of mothballs in Honolulu.

On Monday night Weather Girl Martha Wash performed the song on "Late Show with David Letterman."  If you watch the whole video, you'll see that men do indeed fall from above.