Monday, December 10, 2012

Tears, Confetti, Candy and the Governor

Yesterday was the first day same-sex couples here in Washington could legally marry.  I went to Seattle City Hall and cheered for the couples as they descended the stairs in front of the building after being wed, and I attended the fabulous reception held for everybody at the Paramount Theatre.

I've seen a lot of pictures of yesterday's events, and my favorite collection is from Matt Stopera of BuzzFeed.  Click here to see the moments that gave him the chills.

Like him, I got a charge out of seeing the "Sorry" sign, the married cop and the polka-dot socks.  And when the two young guys with their tiny baby walked down the steps as my partner and I and our friends clapped, a man next to me said, "That's my grandchild.  Twenty-seven days old."

I congratulated him heartily while internally dissolving into a Seattle puddle.

2 comments: