Thursday, April 24, 2014

Jodie's Married and I Don't Feel Well

When the news broke that Jodie Foster had married Alexandra Hedison over the weekend, I had two reactions.  The first was surprise, because I hadn't known Foster was dating anybody.  The second was low-level nausea.

It's not that I'm devastated that Jodie has been taken.  She had her chance.

Before even reading the story about the Foster-Hedison nuptials, I remembered that Hedison was an ex of Ellen DeGeneres, and this whole Hollywood-lesbians-dating-each-other thing immediately threw me back in time to that A-list lesbian triangle of the '90s featuring Martina Navratilova, Judy Nelson and Rita Mae Brown.

Back then I hadn't yet realized I was gay, but I was fascinated and disturbed by the incestuousness of these lesbians in the public eye.  I don't know why--I'd already seen the same kind of musical chairs go on among lesbian friends of mine.  Why should celebrities be any different?  They shouldn't, but somehow the saga of the star tennis player, the Texas beauty queen and the deeply gifted author felt especially desperate to me.  And sad.  And distasteful.

At any rate, it's fair to say that if Rosie O'Donnell and Melissa Etheridge become an item, I'm going to get nauseous again.