Saturday, July 9, 2016

Some Good News

Let's step back for a moment from the searing emotional turmoil of the past few days in America.  Let's go . . . to the bathroom.

I take my good news where I can get it.

Here in the state of Washington we've been grappling with the specter of Initiative 1515, which would require that everyone use bathrooms and locker rooms that match their gender at birth, not the gender with which they identify. I-1515 is a shot at transgender people.

Proponents argue that I-515 is needed to keep sexual predators from posing as transgender to gain access to women and children.  Yeah, that's a real problem.  It happens about as often as Donald Trump expresses humility.

The Just Want Privacy folks--because they couldn't call their campaign You Trans Folks Are Icky, Scary and Confusing--needed to collect 246,000 signatures to get I-1515 on the ballot.  They failed.

In case you missed that, they failed.  They failed.  They failed.

I'm surprised, to tell you the truth.  I thought they could whip up enough fear to get the thing on the ballot.  Apparently fundraising didn't go well--not enough donors rallied to the bathroom banner--and  proponents faced opposition from our community, politicians and from corporations like Amazon, Microsoft and Google.

Ultimately much of the credit for the outcome must go to Washingtonians who simply declined to sign.  Thanks to them, we have discrimination-free comfort stations.  And that's a comfort.

Put another way, the campaign to control the crapper came a cropper.