Monday, September 26, 2016

Edward and George and Martha

It's so easy to get caught up in America's current political and social turmoil--especially with the first presidential debate just hours away--but something happened earlier this month that I won't let go unmentioned.

Edward Albee died.  Whether you loved or hated the openly gay playwright's work, he was one of the most significant figures in American theater history.

Personally, I'm grateful to him for having written "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"  That play and movie set a standard in more ways than one.  When my wife Anne and I are having a particularly intense argument and one of us says, "We sound like George and Martha," that's a warning that the fight is getting way too heated.

Come to think of it, there could be another George-and-Martha performance today.  Not from Anne and me.  From Donald and Hillary.