Thursday, August 3, 2017

A Silver Lining to the Military Mess

After President Trump tweeted his ban on transgender folk in the military, Coast Guard officials personally reached out to all 13 openly transgender members of the Coast Guard to offer support.

So said the leader of the Coasties on Tuesday. Commandant Adm. Paul Zukunft himself contacted Lt. Taylor Miller, who was featured in a Washington Post article last week as the first openly transitioning officer in the Coast Guard.

"If you read that story, Taylor’s family has disowned her . . . And I told Taylor, I will not turn my back. We have made an investment in you and you have made an investment in the Coast Guard and I will not break faith," said Zukunft.

If you'd told me a year ago that a branch of the U.S. military would publicly support and protect its transgender members, I'd have blurted out, "Right, and Donald Trump will be commander in chief."

Um . . .